New Student FAQ

On this page we aim to answer all of your new student questions, and provide you with answers to questions that you didn’t even know you should ask.

You will be receiving a Technology Resources Log-In Card in your New Student Orientation mailing.  In this mailing you will receive your Providence College email address, your Network/Sakai Log-In user name, your Banner ID and your initial password for all of our sites.

Do I need to do anything before I come to New Student Orientation?

Yes, there are a few things you need to do.

All placement exams and the Undeclared Interest Survey are found on Sakai. 

1. Math Placement Exam

All students need to take the Math Placement Exam.  The due date for completion is May 30, 2017.  This placement exam helps us to determine which math course you should be registered into in the event that your major requires a math course for your first semester.

2. Language Placement Exams

If you have studied Italian, French, or Spanish in high school, we require that you take the placement exam for the language(s) you’ve studied.  On the exam, you can indicate if you wish to continue your language studies in your first semester.

If you studied a language other than French, Italian, or Spanish in high school, we ask that you contact Dr. Alison Caplan, Chair of the Foreign Language Studies Department, via email at

3. Undeclared Interest Survey (Undeclared Students Only)

If you are Undeclared, you will need to complete the Pre-Orientation Undeclared Interest Survey.  This will assist the Office of Enrollment Services to pre-register you for courses that meet your academic interests prior to your arrival at New Student Orientation.

4. View Video Tutorials

We require that you view two video tutorials, below, prior to your arrival for New Student Orientation.  Be sure to watch both videos all the way through as you will be required to acknowledge that you’ve watched them and understood what was presented to you.

To view the videos in full screen, click play then click on the YouTube icon in the lower right corner to open the video in YouTube.  You can then select to view the videos in a full screen for easier viewing.

5.  New Student Change of Major Form

If you would like to change your major prior to May 30th, you can download the New Student Change of Major Form, complete it, and send it back either by mail or by fax.  The address and fax number are on the bottom of the form.  Your change request will be reviewed by the Office of Admission prior to it being completed.  Keep in mind that your schedule is built based upon what your major is prior to your arrival for New Student Orientation.  If you don’t remember what major you applied as, you can log into Cyberfriar, select Student Services, select the term you are entering Providence College, and you will see your major in the Curriculum Information portion of the page.

6.  College Credit Report, Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate Examinations

Students who demonstrate superior performance in the Advanced Placement Examination (a score of 4 or 5) will be awarded Advanced Placement credit.  See the Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate Equivalency Charts for more specific information concerning the placement of AP courses within the academic program.

Please arrange to have your official AP or IB Score Report sent to the Office of Admission, 1 Cunningham Square, Providence College, Providence, RI 02918.

Students who successfully complete dual enrollment courses at accredited institutions should submit an official college transcript to the Office of Admission by August 1. Credit for dual enrollment courses is ordinarily not awarded for courses required for high school graduation, nor for courses taken in a high school setting by a college-approved high school faculty member. To be eligible for dual-enrolled credit, courses must be taken on the college campus and/or taught by a college or university faculty member of record. The Office of the Dean of Undergraduate and Graduate Studies reserves the right to determine whether courses taken from a college or university by incoming students while in high school may be accepted as transfer credits. Final approval of dual enrollment course credits will be made by the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate and Graduate Studies. Students who wish to obtain academic credit for dual enrollment courses should plan to meet with the dean of undergraduate and graduate studies during their first semester at Providence College.

Be sure complete the College Credit Report form to alert the college of your AP coursework and participation in any Dual Enrollment program at an accredited institution.

How do I access my Providence College email?

Your Providence College email address serves as our official means of communication with you. Your account is provided by Microsoft Office365, and will provide you with a 50GB mailbox able to send messages up to 20MB in size. Your email address is your and you may access your Providence College email via  Be sure to check your email, as emails are often sent to you alerting you of important information occurring on campus.

What is Cyberfriar and why do I need to know about it?

CyberFriar is our online student information system that allows you to register online, view your financial aid package, check grades, print unofficial transcripts, and review your financial account. You log in to CyberFriar using your Banner ID.

What is my Banner ID?

Your Banner ID is a nine digit number that is used on campus as your student number.  We use this number in lieu of your Social Security number and we treat it with the same security as if it were your Social Security number.  It will be the number you use to log into Cyberfriar.  You’ll be asked for your Banner ID when you contact college offices so they can access your records.  Look on your Technology Resources card for your Banner ID.

What is my network ID?

Your Network ID lets you log in to computers in the labs and library, our network printers, the PC-Secure wireless network, and Sakai. Look on your Technology Resources card for your Network ID.

What is Sakai?

Sakai is our web-based learning management system.  It is used to complete online placement exams and the Undeclared Interest Survey.  Look on your Technology Resources card for your Sakai login.

Do I have just one password?

Initially, yes.  The initial password on your Technology Resources card will allow you to log in to Sakai, your Providence College email account, Cyberfriar and the Providence College computer network.  However, the initial password is only good once on Cyberfriar and your email.  Once you log in to your email and Cyberfriar,  you will be prompted to change your password to something that is known only to you.  Make note of these new passwords and keep them in a safe place.  You will need to bring your Technology Resources card with you to New Student Orientation as you will need that initial password to log into the computers here on campus to complete your course registration.

How am I registered for courses in my first semester?

Incoming freshmen will be expected to complete Development of Western Civilization (DWC) plus three 3 or more credit courses in their first semester (total of four courses) and then five 3 or more credit courses in each succeeding semester to reach the graduation requirement of 120 credit hours.   The total credits per semester are based upon the student’s major.

All declared majors have a pre-determined schedule of courses incoming freshmen should take.  The full course of study for each academic major is listed in the Academic Guidebook, published by the Academic Advising Office.

Undeclared students are registered based upon their responses to the Undeclared Interest Survey.  Some majors do not have a full schedule upon arrival for orientation, so there will be time set aside at New Student Orientation to complete freshmen course schedules.

What if I get home and want to change my course schedule?

Incoming freshmen will only have access to Cyberfriar on the day they come to New Student Orientation.  If you decide that an adjustment to your schedule needs to be made, you will need to do so through your Academic Advisor.  Your Academic Advisor should give you his or her email contact information prior to the end of New Student Orientation.  If your advisor agrees to your request for a course schedule change, s/he will then forward your request to the Office of Enrollment Services for processing.